Thursday, April 24, 2008

University Assignment

Just yesterday I received an email from NYCTF indicating that I have been assigned to City College for my master's of education in science. I thought I would be excited to received my assignment, but to be honest, I was a little disappointed.

Browsing City College's School of Education website makes it seem like a pretty well-established program. It has also been educating Fellows since 2000. I do not know anyone that currently attends, but would like to.

However, I am concerned about my commute. While I have yet to learn my commuting schedule for summer training, I do know that from my stop on the M train (Forest Ave) to City College is around an hour and a half commute. Right now, my usual commute is to 14th st and takes me no longer than 45 minutes on average with some train traffic.

There is an appeals process for one's University assignment, which I am considering. Also, there is a field on the "My Assignment" tab on the myNYCTF website for alternative Universities. Mine is blank. Just above that is a notice that reads, "Some borough and subject combinations have only one university option. If you are reading this message, then your university is the only one working with your subject area within your assigned borough."

This is simply not true. I am in contact with other Fellows who have been assigned to Pace downtown for my same field of study. All of this is a bunch of mixed messages. So I posted a message on the Fellow message boards asking if anyone else was in my situation and could relate. I received a few empathetic responses, but no solutions. My next step is to write an email to NYCTF inquiring about my options.

I know others may be commuting from NJ or LI, which can be a long commute, but once the commuter rails take them into a central hub, any of the Universities in Manhattan are about the same time away. Maybe I am being too fastidious. I would just like to minimize and not increase my commuting time as I am sure I will be very busy the upcoming summer and year.

PS - Thanks to those who took the survey! I am just interested in seeing, very generally, what everyone's experience has been like. If you haven't taken it, please do! Thanks!

1 comment:

Mr. Dugong said...

Well, City College classes start at 8:30 (?) so I suppose you could start getting used to waking up at 6:00.

I'm not going to lie, that's a pretty shitty commute.