Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ridiculous Parent

Today I received an email from a colleague informing me that a parent wanted to report me to the principal.

One thing I've learned as a teacher is not to panic. So I called my colleague and she explained the situation.

Apparently, today a student came into my class who I have seen no more than 10 times the entire school year. She ALSO came in with maybe ten minutes of class remaining. She didn't have time to begin the test I was giving, so I said she could come after school today.

Later, I find that I cannot stay after school. So granted, yes, I should have found this student and informed her. Instead, I left, granted somewhat hastily, without leaving a sign or touching base with the student. Apparently, when she showed up after school, she was accompanied by her parent.

As it has been described to me, this parent was livid that I was not there and appalled that I asked her student to stay after school.

Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

First off, I have no reason to believe this kid is going to show up after school in the first place. SHE DOESN'T SHOW UP TO SCHOOL IN THE FIRST PLACE. Second, as your student rarely, if ever, comes to class, I am doing her the favor of accommodating her by giving her the courtesy of showing up after school to take a test. Mind you, she showed up with ten minutes left of class and she's shown up so few times, I barely know what she looks like.

Now, as far as this parent reporting me to the principal. Bring it on. I will not have some irrational parent intimidate me, especially when they don't even ensure their own daughter is attending school. This shouldn't bother me, but it does. I look forward to seeing the outcome of this fiasco and putting this parent in her place.

She picked the wrong teacher to fuck with.

2 comments:

Mr. Dugong said...

I wouldn't take an immediately confrontational position here. That only leads to a cold-war-like escalation which is unnecessary. Keep in mind that even if the principal places a letter in your file, there's nothing keeping the principal from taking that letter out later on *wink wink*.

Have the student's attendance information handy when they do come around just to make your case about the student's questionable reliability in a classroom. So if they really want to push the disciplinary action against you, you can threaten to drop an ACS case on the parents for educational neglect since they're not getting their kids to school for whatever stupid reason they may create on their behalf.

Anonymous said...

I doubt this is the appropriate place to leave this comment, but I have been unable to locate any other means of contacting you. My name is Mike and I am a potential fellow in the NYCTF program this summer. I have read all of your blogs and found them extremely informative. I will also be teaching science-although it will be Earth Science since I have a BS in Meteorology- and would greatly appreciate any and all advice I could get from you. My email address is: mdelman@appliedweather.com
I also an constantly on yahoo instant messenger while at work (it's how we communicate inter-office) and if you are ever online that would be ok also:
isles2255

Anyway, I'm sure you are very busy but I could use all the advice I can get!
Thanks,
Mike