Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Apartment Search

Searching for apartments in NYC is like an urban evolution.  Those who don't know what they're doing pay out the nose or get scammed, while those more fit weather the storm and find the deals.  Scammers try to trick you into wiring money to Mozambique, brokers want your life savings in fees and disgruntled supers unwillingly show you apartments with their less than gracious manner.  I am doing my best not to be eliminated by urban (natural) selection.

In the past week, I think I have viewed around 15 apartments, all in and around Harlem.  I viewed one in Inwood off the 1 & A trains.  Then, I did some research and found that the block where the apartment was had anywhere between 15-30 shots fired in the past two months.  I want to live in the apartment, not die there.  No thank you.

I found another place, which felt much safer in Harlem, 139 & Lenox to be exact.  However, this very very very small 1 bedroom has a kitchen fit for a small person.  That is to say that the height of the refrigerator is about at my elbow and when you walk into the "kitchen" the only way to leave it is to back out of it.  For $1200, I want a kitchen I can at least turn around in.

So now I am having a change of heart.  Instead of looking in Harlem, I have turned to Brooklyn.  I figure if I live off the 2/3 trains, at least I'll be on the 1/2/3 line express through Manhattan and local to City College.  Prices outside of Manhattan are also much more affordable.  So I am hoping to find an apartment that is manageable and inexpensive enough so I can stockpile some funds instead of burning it on rent.  That way, I can save up a down payment to buy a place in a few years.

Tomorrow I continue my seemingly hopeless search for another home and hopefully I will find something reasonable.  

AND if anyone reading this can help, I welcome any and all assistance.

1 comment:

Mr. Dugong said...

Harlem is not a total loss. Check out ContemporaryHarlem.com. It's pretty expensive for a single but finding a roommate to split a double or a triple wouldn't be a bad idea.