Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Graduation, Job Search, Approaching Training

After four years, blood, sweat, tears, yadda yadda, I finally graduated.  I now have a Bachelor's degree with liberal arts major and concentration in Science, Technology & Society from Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts.  (It's quite a mouthful and cumbersome to explain, but just see www.lang.edu)

On Thursday the 15th I attended the Eugene Lang College graduate and on the 16th attended The New School (University) graduation at Madison Square Garden.  Everything has felt very anticlimactic, but I don't really care.  All I want is my diploma in the mail and to move on.  I am glad to be done with it.

In the meantime, I am pursuing positions at Manhattan schools.  I interviewed at one already with the assistant principal.  She seemed a bit aloof, but well-versed in her field (chemistry and biology), which was kind of intimidating.  According to her, the next step is to see me teach, probably during my student teaching in July.

In the meantime, I have another interview on Thursday and will be attending a job fair Thursday evening.  I have not heard the best reviews about job fairs, but I figure it's worth a shot.

I anxiously await training which begins on June 2nd for Science & Math Immersion fellows (I = Science Immersion).  My small phonebook-sized guidebook sits on my coffee table waiting me to finish reading through it before training begins.  Although, I'm not sure if it needs to be completely read by the time immersion training begins or everyone's training begins.  I guess I'm kind of hedging on the former.

So, for the next week and a half, I will be enjoying my free time to myself.  It is the only time I will have to myself between my previous job, school and NYCTF.  

1 comment:

Mr. Dugong said...

Job fairs aren't so bad. It's like speed dating but for a teaching position. So get practice talking about yourself for less than 5 minutes and always have like 10 copies of a resume/CV to drop off.

Be sure you can answer questions like, how do you incorporate inquiry in your lessons? How do you plan on managing the classroom? How do you feel about preparing students to take standardized tests? How do you deal with troublesome students? What are your goals in teaching science?

AP's who know about the fellows will probably avoid questions like these. If you are asked questions like this, do your best and move on to other schools. I would try to find a school that is more "fellow friendly."

Immersion is more fun than strenuous so don't stress out about it (despite the initial chaos/confusion). The work isn't really that bad and it's good to get the extra 2 weeks to get to know other fellows and to make new friends.

Congrats on graduating and passing the CST's and good luck on your interviews!