Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Getting Up At 5AM

I've never been much of a morning person.

On days when I have to report to my field training site for summer school, I get up quite early.  I never used to get up this early at any point in my life.  It's not really the getting up early part that bothers me though, in fact I kind of like getting up early.

Trouble arises when I have to stay up the night before and complete assignments for my coursework.  It is then when I find myself getting in bed at midnight and resisting when my alarm goes off at 5.  Even though I'm pretty tired when I wake up, it still feels natural to regain at least some consciousness around 5AM.  I think I am rewiring my internal clock a bit.

If you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet, that is the situation precisely this morning.  I have two sizable assignments due today and I will be conducting one of the New York State mandated labs today at my field site.  I have yet to read the lab thoroughly so that I may properly administer it.  I guess that's what the train ride is for (if I can manage to read a lab on a crowded, rush hour L train).  I have a feeling this is a good sense of what the first year of teaching is going to look like.

No comments: