Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer School

If students think summer school is challenging, they have no idea what it's like for the teacher.

It seems that summer school to students means slacking off with such a sense of complacency, so much that being there doesn't really matter.  At least that is how it seems for most.  However, I am SO happy that I've been able to pull a few students out of that summer slump.  Some students were quite checked out on even the first day or two.  After putting forth my best effort to connect what they're learning to what they know, I think I've (at least partially) succeeded in bringing them up to par in the class.

For example, one student had no interest in answering some questions in his biology book.  Even when prodded with questions, his response was that he didn't care and didn't want to be there.  Opportunity presented itself when he also shared that he had a headache.  As we were reviewing body systems, he continued to tell me that his "nerves" were telling him he had a headache.  My immediate response (which out of context doesn't sound right) was, "GOOD! - You just told me that you know you have a headache because of your nerves!  You just used what you know very well - your headache - and what we're learning - body systems to make a connection!"  I think he was a bit appalled that I jumped at his comment about his headache, but I was thrilled to see he did that independently  He then became responsive to further prodding with questions, which segued quite well into the remainder of the class work.  Success.

I hope that during summer school and the fall, I begin to hone these skills.  Although I am sure my abilities are rather rough around the edges right now, it is so satisfying to see a student pulled from complete indifference to at least slight engagement.  I think that's why I am enjoying this.

No comments: