Saturday, August 2, 2008

The End of the Beginning

Yesterday was the last day of my obligations to NYCTF for the summer.  The closing ceremonies began at 10AM at CCNY with a continental breakfast.  All of the SAF groups gathered at their respective tables in the faculty dining room.  Each group gave about a five minute skit to the entire group of CCNY fellows.  Ours was "Fellow Feud."  My friend and colleague (he will be working at the same school as I will be) played the host and we had questions and answers that mocked the wide variety of education jargon we have reviewed for the past two months.  While our skit as somewhat slapped together, it went over surprisingly smoothly.  

Following an hour and a half or so of skits, we were informed that our checks had yet to arrive.  (This came as no surprise to me as organization has not been NYCTF's forte, to say the least.)  However, after some socializing in the interim, we were finally able to collect our checks.  After that, it felt kind of strange.  Going from having obligations for the majority of my day to having none at all was kind of like slamming on the brakes.  I'm not exactly sure what to do with myself.  I intended to go to Governor's Island with another Fellow, but I think that will fall through because of some impending thunderstorms.

Thunderstorms aside, I am glad to be finished.  My brain is now supersaturated with education jargon, acronyms and classroom management techniques.  All of these are quite useful, but I am relatively sure I am at my limit for the time being.  Now it is a waiting game.  My next obligation is to show up at my school on the last Thursday in August for teacher planning / preparation days.  Students show up on the second of September.  I feel pretty adequately prepared too, which is, no doubt, a comforting feeling.  Bring it on kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat as you my friend! I have no idea what to do with myself in the meantime. Hopefully we will enjoy the city! Enjoy your well earned time off!

Mr. Dugong said...

Figure out what you will get through your first week: the syllabus or class contract, the classroom rules, where students sit, how students are graded, what students need for your class, etc.

You'd be surprised how much you need to explicitly go over before you start teaching content.