Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quiet Before the Storm

Rumor is that the first year of teaching tends to be the most difficult.  Given that, I would like to do my best to enjoy the free time I have during August.  So, I booked a five-day vacation to San Francisco, CA.

I've been to CA before, but other parts such as LA, Palm Spring, San Diego... SoCal basically.  However, from all the ranting and raving I keep hearing, it seems SF is one hell of a city, even on par with NYC.  Now I love NYC, so I have a hard time imagining this.  I'm totally open to the idea of falling in love with another city though.

One of the great things about teaching is that a teacher's skill is in high demand just about everywhere.  So if I happen to fall in love with some city and I want to move and live there, I would probably be able to find a teaching position relatively easily.  Certification would be a hurdle of sorts, but often NY's certification is transferrable to other states.  I would also like to make sure I am vested in the pension system here before I make any drastic moves, so that means at least five years.  Also, the perfect amount of time to hone my skills and build a reputation.

Don't get me wrong.  I realize I have not even begun teaching, technically.  I think having some healthy foresight and a future plan of options is a good idea though.  NYC is great, but I imagine after a few decades it can really wear on a person, unless you're exorbitantly wealthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

unless you're exorbitantly wealthy...

Joe Maloney said...

wow, that's embarressing. Thanks.