Friday, August 29, 2008

First Day (w/o students)

I should be in bed asleep right now.

However, when I got home today, I made two turkey sandwiches, ate them and got in bed by 6PM. I woke up at 11, still tired, but I figured I'd answer a few emails, input some scheduling things into my calendar and organize things a bit.

The first day involved:
- Hearing various authority figures speak
- Hearing the phrase, "I'm sure you all know this already..." (I didn't)
- Meeting other science teachers
- Meeting my new AP
- Being overwhelmed and inundated with copious information
- Perpetually having a deer-in-the-headlights look in my eyes
- Making an exponentially growing to-do list
- Finally discovering my file number (Dept. of Ed. ID #)
- Waiting on hold for DOE IT to give me an email address, to no avail
- A 1 on 1 Q&A with my new AP, asking her questions to which she didn't know the answers because she's only been there for four days
- Failing to find out how to connect to the school's wireless network
- Failing to acquire keys to my classroom
- Being disappointed that I have not been assigned to a science classroom (sans sink, lab bench, white board - only chalk)
- Being delighted that I have a well-spaced schedule the begins at just before 9AM and ends around 3:30
- Staying well past my obligated time to organize my thoughts and reduce my anxiety
- Realizing what exactly I have to do for next week
- Realizing I do not have a mailbox to receive essential correspondences
- Being overall pleased with my school, in light of others' horror stories
- Redundant professional development that used materials identical to those in NYCTF training

I think that's a conservative synopsis of today's events. Tomorrow should be a whole new barrel of fun. I can only imagine how much the level of fun increases when students arrive. As you can tell, I'm being sarcastic, not because I don't like what I'm doing, but just because it's quite overwhelming right now. I'm sure the dust will settle in a few weeks and I will feel like I have a level head, but right now, everything is kind of a circus. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Mr. Dugong said...

Period to period, day by day, week by week, unit by unit. Next thing you know it's summer.