Sunday, June 22, 2008

Breaks & Brakes

I am grateful for both.

Following a fast-paced first week of training, I have been very happy enjoying my break from coursework this weekend. It has been a nice 48 hours or so to recuperate. Friday, instead of coursework, we were assigned to visit the neighborhood of where we will be working in the fall or classroom teaching during the summer. While in the area, we were supposed to make some anthropological and ethnographic observations.

Instead of just taking the train, I decided to ride my bike to the area of my high school - midtown Manhattan. What a rush. While 8th avenue may have "bike lanes," they are rarely left unobstructed thanks to stopping cabs and double-parked cars. Most of the time, one must dart in and out of traffic to continue down the avenue. While exciting, it was nice to leave midtown and head to the west side for a leisurely ride down the park along the river.

Yesterday, I went for another biking excursion in the city. Up 6th and 8th aves from 14th st to Central Park I rode. I took the main road all the way through and around Central Park and it was absolutely beautiful. Afterwards, while heading back downtown via 5th avenue, the ride was not as smooth as it had been. While staying to the left on the avenue (there was no bike lane in that area) a car decided to stop short as it turned onto a side street just before the crosswalk. This would normally make perfect sense.

Funny though, that a car would stop for a crosswalk when no pedestrian are in it. So as the car stopped and I continued, I quickly gripped my brakes as hard as I could and skidded right into the rear bumper of a silver Altima. Luckily, I wasn't going fast enough to cause any damage to either party, although I think my few choice words may have caused some emotional damage to the driver. Learn how to drive.

Otherwise, I'm finding that biking is a great leisurely activity. With Sunday here and storm clouds lingering, I'm not sure if I will bike again today or stay in and write my ethnographic paper for tomorrow. Either way, I am fully bracing myself for the busy week ahead.

No comments: