Friday, June 27, 2008

One Month Down, One to Go

COURSEWORK
Going through the past two weeks of coursework felt like time was standing still. Now, though, it feels like the blink of an eye. I can hardly believe I've been through 2 weeks of science immersion and 2 weeks about adolescent learning. That month was here and gone. To give you a sense of exactly how much coursework that is, it's 8 credits worth of courses in the span of four weeks. That is what made it so intensive.

As a bit of a sidebar, I came across this amazing mind-mapping program for Macs that is incredibly useful and intuitive for making brainstorming webs (or whatever you want to call them).  It is free and the results look quite professional.  The program is called Mind Node.  If you do give it a spin, let me know what you think of it.  I'd be curious to know.

WHAT'S NEXT
Next week, we begin our final course in addition to our fieldwork. I am a bit nervous of the field experience. Thus far, scheduling information has been distributed uncomfortably late. For example, I didn't know where I was to go or what I was to do on this coming Monday until yesterday afternoon. I still don't really know what the reporting instructions are for field work (classroom observation / practice teaching). Apparently the responsibility of field work rests more with our respective field training sites (schools) than it does with the Teaching Fellows office or City College. Understandable, but frustrating and anxiety-inducing. I have contacted my school to find out exactly what they think is supposed to happen, but really, I'm not sure that anyone actually knows for sure.

ALTERED PERSPECTIVE
I have had my perspective of what to expect drastically altered within the past two weeks. I've been told stories about students rolling joints IN class, student's genuinely believing the sun is a living organism, homework assignments being futile, students being drunk in class, openly gay students dancing together at prom (that's a positive one, obviously) and a variety of other anecdotal influences that have altered how I think of my approaching teaching experience.

This experience is giving me the tools to transmit information to students effectively, manage my classroom effectively and problem solve effectively so that the daunting task of my first year's chaos is mitigated. While I might feel more prepared, I will still expect crazier things so that maybe I won't be as surprised with a curve ball (rare is it that I used baseball analogies).

2 comments:

awagy86 said...

Hey at least you have your reporting instructions! I haven't gotten mine yet! I'm glad your coursework is going well and are finding it useful. I am as well so that is comforting. Keep it up!

Mr. Dugong said...

Homework is futile only to those who either have really abysmal attendance or to those who don't care enough about homework since they know they can pass without it (which isn't true in most cases). They make unreasonable compromises so make it clear very early that to ignore homework is asking for severe grade reductions.

Our lesbian students are very open with their sexuality and at times, you'll be treated like the school obgyn... It's not a very comfortable position to be in...