Friday, June 6, 2008

End of the First Week of Immersion Training

I have to say, training has not been as taxing as I expected it to be.  While they activities require constant and undivided attention, the days are relatively short compared to a typical 8 hour work day.

Fortunately, I am somewhat familiar with some of the pedagogical methods being presented such as Bloom's taxonomy, inquiry based learning and the 5E/6E model.  While I have learned about those methods themselves before, for the majority of my undergraduate education, my professors have utilized those methods more often than not.  I can personally vouch for their efficacy in my own experiences.  The real trick will be implementing them with my own students.

On the more social side of things, there are a few fellows in Science Immersion who are trying to get a group together to head to a local bar or pub after the week concludes this evening.  During the day, we are in the same small group, which limits our ability to socialize with many of our peers.  I think a nice post-first-week-of-training-pub-expedition may remedy that.

The week has gone very fast.  I imagine that means I am either working very hard or having fun, or I might hope, both.  I look forward to the Welcoming Event on the 16th where ALL fellows (not just math and science immersion) gather at Lincoln Center for a formal welcoming to the program, all 1,600 of us.  Until then I will continue soaking up all the useful information I can about teaching science.

No comments: