Monday, June 16, 2008

Cohort 16 Welcoming Event at Lincoln Center

I had no idea that cohort 16 would fill Avery Fischer Hall at Lincoln Center. I was totally astounded and how large we all looked together. That's probably good considering the number of kids who need a higher quality education in NYC. Part of the point of the event was to further inspire us and I say job well done.

Students from different schools performed. I was very glad to see that our welcoming event was utilized to give students a chance to showcase their work in such a grand venue. I really needed no further reason to attend. I was especially happy to see the audience give a standing ovation to the students from District 75 following their performance of Hard Knock Life from "Annie." District 75 is the city-wide district for special education students. I can only hope that our warm ovation helped seal that experience of performing at Lincoln Center into their memories for the rest of their lives. After all, we are here to make a change for the better.

Aside from more sentimental thoughts, I was also glad to Chancellor Joel Klein for the DOE speak. He was very eloquent, passionate and articulate. Although he is a cog in the machine of NYC administration, I truly believe his heart lies with NYC's students. If not, he did a very good job making me believe it.

I think the Welcoming Event is a great way to begin training, to inspire new fellows and create a sense of camaraderie amongst fellows. We are all here (or should be) for the same reason of improving kids' lives through teaching. The Welcoming Event did a good job of conveying that message and further inspiring us to be great teachers.

No comments: